MECA Baie Ste. Marie Artist Residency



I am so grateful to the Jenny Family and to Maine College of Art (MECA) for the wonderful opportunity to be in residence for two weeks in early June at Baie Ste Marie, Nova Scotia. I traveled to Nova Scotia directly from a four day annual painting retreat in Pemaquid, Maine, with the Pastel Society of Maine staying overnight in St. John, New Brunswick and driving from there to New Edinburgh.


It was my first plein air painting outing after major eye surgery in January and March.
I found that early June was extremely windy in the area, so my challenge was to figure out how to paint on location, as my easel would surely blow over in the wind. It was very frustrating, as I was anxious to get outside to paint. It took me awhile, but I thought of my Painting Edges series of paintings  works on paper. I had some large sheets of watercolor paper with me and I was lucky to find some large sheets of foam core at the Weymouth Mercantile to use for supports. I cut them just large enough (14 x 22) to paint while sitting in the car.
Because of this challenge, the residency moved me to expand an existing body of work to create original paintings in this series instead of replicating existing painting’s edges as before. I completed one painting and started another, which I will finish in the studio from my photos. I also was able to paint a large painting of the amazing view from the house which captivated me the whole two weeks on a less windy day and some mini canvases from the house.
The most valuable thing that I learned was how to take an extreme challenge (the wind) and to have the time to figure out how to make the challenge a positive factor in my work. I have been traveling to paint all over Maine and New Brunswick for over twelve years and have had many plein air challenges of every kind, but this one was a unique learning experience because I had a full two weeks to figure it out without the pressure of any kind of deadline, other than the end of the residency. I am very grateful to have had the time in Nova Scotia to explore, photograph and get back to painting after my successful eye surgeries. I am particularly grateful that my alma mater was able to provide this meaningful experience.

"Riverside Road" acrylic on canvas, 12 x 30
"Painting Edges 16" acrylic on paper, 12 x 20
"Painting Edges 17" acrylic on paper, 12 x 20, in process
"Sandy Cove" acrylic on canvas, 4 x 6
"Riverside Road 3" acrylic on canvas, 5 x 5
"Riverside Road 5" acrylic on canvas, 4 x 6

photos of paintings Jay York Photography

A big hello and thank you to my new Nova Scotia friends: Margaret at the Weymouth Library, Jeanne at Sissiboo Landing, Lisa at the hardware store, Bill and Georgette, Melanie, Eleanor and Wayne of The Weymouth Bridge, my new friends Marie and Denise, Eddie and family, La Cuisine Robicheau, Chez Jean, Rendez-vous de la Baie Visitor's Centre, and The Cat for my return ferry from Yarmouth! So many wonderful and friendly people, I love Canada! A bientot!