Winslow Homer's Studio "Painting Experience" Portland Museum of Art













I had a wonderful experience painting and drawing from Winslow Homer's Studio at Prouts Neck in Scarborough, Maine yesterday! I was the only artist painting at this Portland Museum of Art event, peaceful heaven.  It was a very typical Maine coastal day 70 degrees with 17 mph winds blowing hard from the south, it seemed much cooler and windier! The staff at the studio were lovely and so knowledgeable. Because of the wind, I chose to do my first painting on the cliff walk right below the studio, and then a drawing of the studio behind me up on the hill. I had to hold on to my easel most of the time for the strong wind, but I was able to find a large rock to help weigh it down. This was my first outing with my new Heilman Backpack Pastel Box, I had just loaded it up and I was anxious to see if I had chosen wisely...I had about two hours to work, so I tried to just work and not think too much, but also to be in the spirit of Homer and the place. This was the first time that I had been to the studio, but I've walked the cliff walk many times. I had a great day, thank you PMA! I would love to return for a whole day to paint...I am busy today priming 13 canvases magenta and heading out for a week long painting trip to Pemaquid Point and Monhegan, the plein air season has begun, ready, set, go!

"Prouts Neck from Homer's Studio" pastel on paper, 6 x 12

drawings Pitt Pen on Arches with watercolor