Pastel Society of Maine Pemaquid Painting Retreat




Just back from a wonderful time at the Pastel Society of Maine (formerly Pastel Painters of Maine) tenth annual Pemaquid Painting Retreat. I am lucky to have attended nine of the retreats. Our group stays at the Hotel Pemaquid, a step back in time. We had good weather this year, no downpours or super hot temps. It was so good to see old friends and meet some new ones. I was asked to give the Friday night group critique and to talk about my own work, it was a pleasure to discuss the work from the first day of the retreat. Lots of tasty food was enjoyed at The Contented Sole and The Sea Gull, including the traditional blueberry pie for breakfast! The first day, I painted on the Pemaquid Loop Road and decided to focus on the rocks below me in pastel on Ampersand Pastel Board, especially enjoyed working with my Diane Townsend terrages. I switched to acrylic and painted at lighthouse park a 10 x 10 and a 4 x 6. The next morning we had a super demo by Maine artist Kay Sullivan and then set out to paint. I found myself at the Rachel Carson Salt Pond Reserve. I set up under cover of my Best Brella and the hatch of my car as it was raining a little to paint the view of Monhegan. I gave myself the challenge of limiting my palette to my two sets of twelve terrages, Landscape A and my new set of Fauve. Only three light values, white, a lemon yellow and a blue made for a true challenge. I moved on to lighthouse park at Pemaquid Point and painted a 10 x 10 in acrylic. Later that day we all met for a critique by Kay Sullivan and dinner. We enjoyed a group breakfast on Sunday, sad to say goodbye until next year! I headed to a favorite spot in South Bristol at the Thread of Life view and did a 6 x 18 pastel on Ampersand, a new size and quite fun. My framer at Ocean House Gallery & Frame  cuts my large panels to size. I had a piece of blueberry pie for a snack and headed home to a warm welcome and magenta sign made with love. Glad to be back on the road and glad to be home!

"Pemaquid 33" pastel on board, 16 x 12
"Pemaquid 34" acrylic on canvas, 10 x 10, SOLD
"Rachel Carson Salt Pond Preserve" pastel on board, 12 x 24
"Pemaquid 35" acrylic on canvas, 10 x 10
"Johns Bay 5" pastel on board, 6 x 18
"Monhegan from Pemaquid" acrylic on canvas, 4 x 6, SOLD











 sunrise at Pemaquid Point