A Week on Monhegan










I recently spent a week on Monhegan Island in Maine with three other wonderful women artists at Zimmie's Artist Cottage  The week started with a few days of fog, beautiful, but trying, if one is there to paint. The Cottage had a glassed in front porch to paint from, so I took advantage of the space. I started painting a photo that I shot of sunrise in June at Pemaquid Point looking at Monhegan. Then I decided to paint the lighthouse from the porch, the view from my room...the lighthouse appeared and disappeared in the fog all day, but I finally got it. Spent a lot of time walking and exploring, taking photos and drawing. We went to a wonderful lecture to benefit the Monhegan Artists Residency by Lisa Jahn-Clough and another by Susan Danly on Monhegan painter Andrew Winter both were great and we learned much about the artists' life on Monhegan. Still more fog, so I painted a view towards Manana of the rocks, with no Manana in sight from my camera display. That was a challenge! The fog cleared a little and I ventured out to paint at the end of the Main Road and was able to do two paintings. I love that painting spot!

On my last full day, the shine was shining brightly and I painted all day from Fish Beach. I tried painting on panels for the first time and did three 12 x 12's of Manana, a triptych of sorts. My last day was spent on the porch of the Island Inn, drawing and lunch at the Inn. A happy painting week with three friends! Glad to see my family waiting for me on the dock at New Harbor!

Monhegan 19, 20, 21 acrylic on panel, 12 x 12 each

"Monhegan from Pemaquid 2" acrylic, 10 x 10

"Monhegan 14" acrylic, 6 x 12
Andrew Winter






"Monhegan 15" acrylic, 8 x 16
"Monhegan 16" acrylic, 8 x 16
"Monhegan 17" acrylic, 8 x 16
"Monhegan 18" acrylic, 5 x 5