Renaissance in Pastel 2018, Connecticut Pastel Society, UCONN Art Gallery, Stamford

Happy to write that my pastel painting "Pemaquid 36" was accepted into the 25th Annual Juried Exhibition, Renaissance in Pastel of the Connecticut Pastel Society at UCONN Art Gallery in Stamford, Connecticut. The show runs from October 18 to November 17, 2018. Artists reception on November 3. This one was painted on location on the Pemaquid loop road on the first of June, my first painting after two eye surgeries earlier this year. It was quite a challenge as rain threatened and started while I was painting. I love painting on Ampersand Pastel Board, the surface stands up well to liquid which I use to paint in pastel and to draw as well. The texture builds up with successive layers of SpectraFix that I apply with a brush and mix with the pastel on the surface to paint. I keep adding pastel until there is a texture that I like, some rough areas in the water and smoother in the rocks, like gouache. The sanded board holds the pastel very well and gives a nice firm working surface.

I delivered my painting and three others from Maine artists to the gallery and took the opportunity to travel on to NYC to do some city drawing and photography. In Brooklyn, the Village, Columbus Circle and the High Line, I love finding a bench or chair somewhere while exploring the City and taking the time to draw what I see. I use Arches Aquarelle Carnet de Voyage travel books with Pitt Pens and watercolor. Many thanks to my daughter for the pics and the warm hat delivery in a freezing Columbus Circle at Central Park!

"Pemaquid 36" pastel on board, 14 x 11