Katahdin, Six Days of Painting Off Grid


Just back from six days painting at Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps in Baxter State Park and on the Golden Road. The foliage was just at peak with golds, yellows, orange and rust and some green and still a touch of red. KLWC are wonderfully operated by the fabulous Holly and Bryce Hamilton and offer a completely off grid wilderness experience, no electricity or running water in the cabins. They offer a meal plan or housekeeping option,which means that you cook for yourself in your cabin, this is the option that I chose. It's great to mingle with the other guests at meals, but I wanted the flexibility to keep my own schedule while painting. I was supposed to go into the Lake on Monday, Oct. 7, but a storm grounded Katahdin Air so my gear couldn't be flown in. So I started the trip on Tuesday the 8th, driving up to Millinocket and dropping off my gear,heading into Baxter Park and hiking the 3.3 mile trail to Katahdin Lake. I love to hike in, it gives me the time to separate from civilization and get on nature's clock. I made in to the lake around 3:30 and decided to take the rest of the day to get settled and relax a little from the long drive and hike and to start the painting in the morning. From Wednesday to Saturday at noon I did nine paintings! Painter Chris Huntington was also in painting at KLWC and headed out in a canoe just as I was painting this little one, so I popped him in there!











When  I was hiking out I met a couple who said "Are you Caren?" That was pretty weird! They explained that they had stopped at North Light Gallery on their way in to spend the Columbus Day weekend at KLWC , a three year tradition for them, and had bought one of my paintings! The gallery had told them that they would probably meet me hiking out! Such a nice couple, such a chance meeting in the wilderness!

"Katahdin Lake 20" acrylic, 12 x 16
"Katahdin Lake 21" acrylic, 4 x 6, SOLD
"Katahdin Lake 22" acrylic, 24 x 24
"Katahdin Lake 23" acrylic, 10 x 10
"Katahdin Lake 24" acrylic, 4 x 6, SOLD
"Katahdin Lake 25" acrylic, 10 x 20
"Katahdin Lake 26" acrylic, 5 x 5, SOLD
"Katahdin Lake 27 acrylic, 6 x 18
"Katahdin Lake 28" acrylic, 12 x 16, SOLD
"Golden Road Marsh 14" acrylic, 24 x 24








Did this one from a photo on the last day after I packed my gear. Clouds covered the mountain and there was a fine mist in the air, better to paint on the porch of the cabin.




















Togue Pond Gatehouse, Baxter State Park.


Hiking in, from the bridge at Sandy Stream.

 Katahdin Lake and Katahdin
Katahdin from Katahdin Lake Wilderness Camps.
http://www.katahdinlakewildernesscamps.com/home.html
Chris Huntington's easel on the dock at KLWC, the steps to the beach from the cabins.
Painting the 24 x 24 on the beach.
 Painting the 10 x 20, mirror image water!
The paintings set out on the porch of my cabin, Turner.
 Hiking out!
Sunday, October 13, lots of color still, painting on the Golden Road. 24 x 24.













Heading to North Light Gallery in Millinocket to drop off the ten paintings and home from a great trip! All of my Katahdin area work is available through North Light Gallery.
http://www.artnorthlight.com/p496037547